about this program
The award-winning Bowie BIC 8(a) Accelerator Program combines practical business training in a small group setting with access to mentors and structured networking activities to help federal government contractors in the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) 8(a) business development program learn how to win more federal government contracts and generate more revenue for their companies.
SBA’s 8(a) program provides socially and economically disadvantaged businesses with an advantage in federal contracting for nine years. However, training tailored to successful 8(a) contracting activity is still needed.
SBA information indicates that as many as 80% of the minority, women-owned and veteran-owned business certified as 8(a) businesses may be out of business within 24 months of graduating from its 8(a) program. Therefore, the majority of 8(a) businesses do not develop sustainable business practices and relationships to grow financially while they participated in the 8(a) program. This also means that the communities where 8(a) firms operate are dramatically affected by the loss of these existing companies, as well as jobs, tax revenues, leases for office space, and the economic vitality they generate.
The Bowie BIC 8(a) Accelerator Program addresses the training, networking, mentoring and business resource gaps that 8(a) businesses historically encounter when utilizing general business counseling services. The Bowie BIC 8(a) Accelerator is America’s first accelerator program for 8(a) businesses.
The International Business Innovation Association (InBIA) has named the Bowie BIC 8(a) Accelerator the Most Innovative Entrepreneurship Center Program in 2020.
The Bowie BIC 8(a) Accelerator provides:
- Targeted networking opportunities for new 8(a) government contractors.
- Cohort-based training focused on the development of each company’s capture management strategy.
- Reviewing and providing feedback on each company’s implementation strategy.
- Pitch opportunities for 8(a) companies to present their business capabilities to senior federal contracting officials.
- Access to the Bowie Business Innovation Center (Bowie BIC) business Accelerator program resources for government contractors.